More importantly, laser therapy can accomplish this with the reduced need of pain medications and has none of the side effects that some medications carry with them. Laser therapy is safe and takes only 5 to 10 minutes to administer, there are no side effects and can be used with any other therapy.
As your pet ages the probability of arthritic pain increases greatly, especially for dogs. At ages eight to ten years, 27% of dogs suffer from arthritis. The number increases to 37% for dogs eleven to thirteen years old. If you've seen signs your dog is slowing down, this may be due to joint and muscle pain common in arthritis.
It may be difficult for you to diagnose arthritic pain in cats because they hide pain and illness so well. If you've noticed your feline friend slowing down, having problems reaching the litter box, or isolating themselves from the family, pain may be the cause.
Our doctors and staff hate to see your pet suffer from joint and muscle pain. We have the most advanced and latest in laser therapy treatment options to provide an alternative to traditional pain management. Some of the conditions that can be improved include arthritis, acute & chronic pain, back injuries, sprains & strains, inflammation and wound healing.
How it Works
The therapy laser is applied directly to the surface of the skin. Laser therapy is safe and takes only 5 to 10 minutes to administer. It is rare that a pet requires sedation for cold laser therapy because treatment can be administered without discomfort or restraint. Another benefit to cold laser therapy is that it is not necessary to shave the fur in the region of treatment. The laser can be set for shallow or deep tissue penetration for different time periods of treatment depending upon the condition that is being treated.
The beam of the laser consists of wavelengths with photons that penetrate into the tissue. The photons are absorbed by cells that are not properly functioning due to injury or disease. The photons help to initiate cellular processes by increasing the productivity of ATP, the energy source for cells. Circulation is also improved to relieve swelling and increase the delivery of oxygen and nutrients into the affected tissues. This increases overall cellular function, allowing for faster reproduction of new cells. The reproduction of healthy cells and improvement of cellular function aids to:
- Alleviate chronic or acute pain
- Reduce inflammation of soft tissue
- Reduce edema (fluid trapped in body tissue)
- Activate immune cells
- Reduce bacteria in region of treatment
- Increase blood flow to region of treatment
- Speed healing and recovery
Some advantages laser therapy has over other forms of therapy include:
- Does not require the use of drugs or surgery
- Fewer side effects
- Fast results
- Quick and convenient treatment times
- Non-Invasive; no anesthesia because it is not painful
- Studies show that it is equal to or more effective than other forms of physical therapy
- Economical when compared to long term medications
- Non-Surgical treatment
- Extremely safe with no side effects
- Can be combined with medications or other treatments
- Fast results; most treated pets feel better in 12 to 24 hours after treatment
- Speeds the healing process